My Favourite Quick and Easy Gluten-free Lunch Recipe
gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian
Fava fries recipe. Fava fries are currently my favourite quick and easy gluten-free lunch recipe. It’s such a quick and simple recipe to make, even on the busiest of days.
This recipe was inspired by one of my favourite artisan bakers, in Norfolk. Sidings Yard is a short drive away from my local town. Often, after a visit to my local antiques and vintage market I make my way to Sidings with my eldest daughter. I pick up sourdough loaf for the weekend and treat us to lunch. It’s a little, nearing the end of the working week treat, and ritual.
Every week I predictably order the same; green tea, fava bean panisse with garlic mayonnaise (or as I call them fava fries), plus a mixed salad. It may sound dull having this on repeat but that is testament to just how good they are.
Panisse are traditionally a French dish, usually made with chickpeas. They are creamy, crispy chickpeas chips and make a healthy low carb alternative to chips or fries. I did experiment with chickpeas, but I much prefer the use of fava beans. The have a very subtle flavour. Fava beans are also known as broad beans.
One of the things that I love about this fava fries recipe is how quick and easy it is to make. I serve them with homemade garlic mayonnaise but could also be served with tomato ketchup or any other dip which takes your fancy.
Fava Fries Recipe (serves 4)
100g Fava bean flour
1.5 tablespoon vegetable oil
500ml boiling hot water
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Fava Fries Method
- Mix fava bean flour and a generous portion of salt and pepper in a saucepan. Good seasoning is vital.
- Pour boiling water into the saucepan and whisk together. I use a Danish dough whisk.
- Put onto the hob and keep stirring with a Danish dough whisk or wooden spoon until the mixture starts to have an elastic texture. As soon as the mixture starts to change in texture, take it off the hob and stir off the heat for about a minute
- Pour into a small baking tray and leave to set. It should only take about 30 minutes.
- Once set cut into 1cm slices, so that they resemble a chip.
- Keep in an air-tight container in the fridge.
- To cook either shallow fry or bake in oven. They are cooked when they are slightly firm on the outside but soft in the centre. In my range cooker I bake the fava fries on the base of my main over for about 20 minutes.
My top tip. Make the fava fries in the morning, at the start of the day. This way, they will be ready a waiting at lunch time.
How to serve fava fries
My favourite way to way to eat Fava fries are with a homemade garlic mayonnaise dip (simply mix a teaspoon of lazy garlic into a small bowl of mayonnaise.
Alternatively, tomato ketchup would make a great tip or try serving as a side, instead of French fries/chips. They are delicious with salt and vinegar.
SHOP MY KITCHEN STYLE & INGREDIENTS:
Naturally dyed antique linen napkins – most of my table linens are from GZbadboysantiques
Handcarved wooden spoon – Etsy have a great selection
As seen on You Tube
Vintage kitchenalia https://www.sugdenanddaughters.co.uk/french
SEE MORE CONTENT
You Tube : www.elegantlyknackeredstyle.co.uk
PHOTOGRAPHY, VIDEOGRAPHY AND AUDIO EQUIPMENT USED:
My camera – https://rstyle.me/+lBuERyKFrPiW1s1T4OZF1w
Mobile Phone https://rstyle.me/+KitfR1EMXwVOqG4EvNhjLA
Microphone – https://rstyle.me/+tsP4K-WxWwcnId2iT0ZvIw
Smartphone tripod mount holder https://rstyle.me/+0uzTQlZyRiva663GcKlyNQ
Aluminium overhead tripod https://rstyle.me/+g9H-mfJxjBejmsolxZ9FRQ
Studio Lights https://rstyle.me/+L6DMxF229WjDZqIIsIS6OA
Photography light reflector https://rstyle.me/+_vMsxI6YCjMT6Wo40BIi5w
TOOLS & SERVICES I USE:
Keyword research tool for YouTube (Tube Buddy) – https://www.tubebuddy.com/elegantlyknackeredstyle
Affiliate marketing network LTK
Disclaimer Some of the links, but not all, are affiliate links. If you buy a product or service with the links, I may receive a small commission. by following one of my links, I may receive a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay. Thank you for supporting my brand so I can continue to provide you with free content each week!