Gluten-free scones are a delightful treat that you can relish at any time of the day, whether it’s breakfast, brunch, or afternoon tea. Baking warm, freshly made scones is an experience that’s hard to beat, and even if you have dietary restrictions, you can still enjoy this mouth-watering treat. With the right ingredients and recipe, making gluten-free scones that are just as delicious as the traditional version is a breeze. After conducting numerous tests, I have finally perfected a gluten-free scone recipe that I’m thrilled to share with you. But before diving into the recipe, let’s explore the history of scones and how they became a beloved part of British cuisine.
Scones trace their roots back to Scotland in the early 1500s, where they were originally made with oats and cooked on a griddle. Over time, the recipe evolved to include wheat flour and baking powder, giving them a lighter texture. They gained popularity throughout the United Kingdom and were frequently served with jam and clotted cream as part of an afternoon tea.
In the late 1800s, scones became popular in the United States, where they were often prepared with fruit and nuts and enjoyed with coffee or tea. Today, scones can be found in bakeries and cafes worldwide, with countless variations of the classic recipe available. From savoury cheese scones to sweet chocolate chip scones, there’s a scone for every taste and occasion.
As a keen hobby baker, I have tested numerous scone recipes to develop the perfect gluten-free and dairy-free version. So, without further ado, let me share my favourite recipe with you!
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Scone Recipe
- 225g gluten-free plain flour + 2tsp baking powder or 225g self-raising gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 30g caster sugar (granulated sugar will work just as well)
- 55g dairy-free butter/spread (not too soft)
- 55g sultanas (or any other dried fruit)
- 150ml oat milk
- Extra flour and milk
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring jug
- Weighing scales
- Pastry brush
- Baking tray
- Baking parchment
- Preheat the oven to 200C and cover a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter to the dry mixture and rub it all together.
- Mix in the sultanas with a wooden spoon.
- Gradually pour in the oat milk and mix with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- Shape the scones with your hands, making them twice the height you want them to be when cooked. Gluten-free scones tend to flatten out while baking.
- Place the scones on the baking tray and brush each one with milk.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and let cool.
These scones are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or afternoon tea, and you can customize them to your liking. Whether you prefer plain scones or ones with fruit, this recipe is guaranteed to delight your taste buds.
So, what are you waiting for? Put on your apron, and let’s bake the best gluten-free and dairy-free scones ever!